Friday, April 3, 2009

Hatred

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
-- Buddha

Often people who are overweight, especially the extremely overweight and obese person, have some symptoms of HATING themselves, either because of long-term unhappiness and self-destructive tendencies or short-term depression or whatever.

It is my hypothesis and my experience so far that to truly regain the humanity you had when you were young and truly lived life to the fullest, you MUST LOVE YOURSELF. You must let go (not struggle with or destroy) the hate you have for yourself.

Let me give an example from my current efforts: I am following the Power 90 DVD exercise program for 90 days. It mandates that I do 6 workouts a week. Sometimes I might still have some energy or a feeling that I NEED to do more or more heavier weights or whatever. I have to stop and think and make myself rest more. Take my time and be patient with myself. Hold myself in lovingkindness and compassion. Nurture and protect my body as best I can, so I can be on this journey for the rest of my life and not burnout in a blaze of deluded glory only to fall back into depression and self-abandonment.

Hehe, have a happy friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment