Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Loyalty

Loyalty.

What does it mean? "To thine own self be true" "Take care of you" These are the same.

At my kung fu school there is an ancestor altar for our schools late grandmasters. At the highest shelf of the altar sits a statue of GuanGong, a famous general from ancient general who signifies loyalty to one's school, friends and family.

I got to thinking about this and realized that spiritually this resonates with me. Jesus would want me to take good care of myself. Buddha would say the same. Now Guan Gong shows me a way. Discipline and love.

Guan Gong was once forced to surrender to enemy forces, but he fought hard to protect his lord's first wife and second wife (bear with me). The enemy lord was greatly impressed by Guan Gong's loyalty so he eventually gave them safe passage out of respect for Guan Gong. Guan Gong was a hero among men.

Alright, next time you go into a chinese restaurant that has a red altar for Guan Gong, or a traditional Chinese home or business, note the Guan Gong statue and wish me well.

May you live in love and loyalty to yourself and your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment