Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TUNA TUNA TUNA!

Hi there,

Lately since starting regular strength training with Power 90, I have been upping my protein intake. Protein is said to be good for keeping you feeling full, and I agree. Peronally, I work hard to avoid carbs as they tend to be trigger foods for me. My main grain is oatmeal that I have in the morning. My second grain, gasp!, is white rice. Unfortunately, my dear wife doesn't care for the brown and as I don't really cook (another topic altogether!), I eat a cup of that maximum with some dinners.

Anyway, back to our lovely topic of the day, TUNA! Tuna is the cheapest way to eat protein and supposedly get some of those healthy fish oils that are supposedly so good for you. Here are some ways I make tuna palletable (keep in mind I am a slobbish manthing):

mustard (preferably spicy brown)
salsa (low sodium)
Fat free italian dressing

Using one or more of the above condiments, I combine the tuna with frozen vegetables like cut green beans, green peas (good carbs to keep a long workout going), or chopped brocolli (my favorite taste-wise). This way this concoction will keep well on my way to work, and when I eat it as one of my two lunches, I heat it up nice and hot.

In fact, mustard and salsa tends to make a nice faux curry! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I could eat tuna by itself, haha. I love fish and eat fish almost daily. I usually have chicken for lunch and fish for dinner. I really like steamed green beans, you can buy a frozen 12oz. bag for $1 - $2 depending on if you're picky about having brand name or not.

    ReplyDelete