Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Power 90 / Bootcamp Buddies / Weightwatchers

Greetings,

Welcome to my blog, Moving Mountains. My name is Michael. I am 33 years old, and I currently weigh 300 lbs. Facing depression and wanting to get back to my childhood passion of learning Kung Fu, I joined Weightwatchers a year ago in January 2009.

Unemployed at the time, I made losing weight my job. I walked and walked. I stuck to the WW plan.

I joined a weightwatchers-oriented BBS forum called Bootcamp Buddies, which has helped a lot. I highly recommend Bootcamp Buddies (AKA BCB), especially if you need to lose a lot of weight and need a long-term community of acceptance and support.

Most importantly, I lost more than 70 lbs, dropping from an all-time high of 332 lbs to 257 or so in 7-8 months!! It was very cool!

Then life happened. I needed to get a job. A lack of income was killing my relationships with my wife and my family (parents).

The good thing is that I found one, but in the process, I relapsed back into smoking cigarettes. Along with the office bagels and donuts, I regained at least 50 lbs. I became deeply depressed. I thought about dying so, so many times. When I finally woke up (after quitting cigarettes), I was more than 310 lbs again!

In February of 2009, I re-commited to Weightwatchers (but quit meetings!) and started searching for new exercise choices. My passion of learning and practicing Chinese traditional kung fu was slipping awy from me AGAIN!

I found P90X on TV, but in doing research I realized it would be too hard for me as pushups and pullups and cardio are ALL weak areas for me. So I purchased Power 90 In-home Boot Camp and now it's Day 9.

It's HARD for me, but it has already worked with my WW plan to help me slim down some.

Well, that's all for now. I hope to share more with you in the near future. Some topics I plan to discuss are: my current method for avoiding midnight snacking, my understanding of the nature of thoughts, feelings and self, Buddhism, and my Team Beachbody journey in general.

Lastly, I'd like to introduce a Chinese proverb to you: You can move mountains stone by stone.

(Loosely translated from YuGongYiShan, if you know Chinese).

Peace and compassion,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment